Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Lazy Perfecitonist vs. the iphone


I've come to the realization that I'm a lazy perfectionist. By that I mean I'm basically a pretty lazy person unless I have some specific task that needs to be done. And when that happens my perfectionist side kicks in. It then turns a small 5 minute task into a whole day project.

Case in point as I said before I just bought an iphone. Its still awesome by the way. Well the thing is I already own an ipod touch which is basically the same thing minus the phone and camera. So my plan was just to take the music off the touch and put it on the iphone. Well if any of you have ever tried to transfer the music off an ipod onto another ipod then you would know that it can be an incredibly big pain in the ass. And with the ipod touch and iphone its twice as bad because Apple decided in there infinite wisdom that they should change how the filing system should work. This means that when its connected into a computer the it won't be detected as its own separate drive as it does on older ipods. When the ipod is detected as a disk drive on the computer its easier to move files around.

So now I have an ipod and iphone that are going to be a pain to move music between. I found a few programs that might be able to do it somewhat. I would probably lose my playlist and album art.

Speaking of album art when I originally bought my ipod touch I had to go through this with my ipod nano. At that time I didn't have any album art for my songs because the screen on the nano was so small that it wasn't worth the effort when no one could see it unless they were looking really close and even then you couldn't really see it that well. So when I was transferring the songs over to the ipod touch I decided to find all the album art. Well I didn't expect it to be that bad. It end up taking me about a week to finish.

That brings us to the present and now I'm moving all the mp3 files from my desktop to my laptop. And since the mp3 files themselves are not actually associated with the album art it looks like once again I'll have to take the time to find and match up all the album art work all over again. So what that means is I really don't have time to write this entry. And with that I head back into the depths of mp3/itunes/ipod hell. Good Day

No comments: